Fiber-full and delicious: Spanish lentil recipe
I continuously educate my patients as to the importance of dietary fiber. But, how can a person get in 40-50 grams of fiber a day without feeling like a ruminant? The answer is to choose high-fiber foods (and use a fiber supplement which is another topic of discussion).
Here is one such recipe that I think you’ll agree is a delicious way to eat lentils. Legumes (i.e. beans) are packed with fiber and 2/3 cup cooked lentils gives you about 10 grams of it! So, eat plenty of legumes by finding delicious recipes that the whole family will want to eat. Remember that lentils don’t need to be soaked then rinsed with clean water ahead of time like other legumes to reduce their potential to cause gas. If you do get gas from eating legumes, this is one sign to make an appointment with me to rebalance your digestive system. Please eat and be well!
1 onion peeled
Enough water to cover lentils in pan
2 2/3 cup lentils
1 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic (1 peeled and 1 unpeeled)
2 slices bread
½ tsp paprika
1 sprig parsley
1. Cut ½ the onion into larger pieces & ½ into finely chopped pieces.
2. Place the lentils, bay leaf, large pieces of onion, and 1 unpeeled garlic in a pan with the water. Cover, bring to a boil, lower heat then simmer 1-2 hrs until lentils are tender.
3. Sauté bread until crisp & evenly golden, drain and set aside.
4. Keep the left-over oil (from sautéing the bread), add finely chopped onions and cook on low heat for 8 min until brown. Add tomatoes & cook for another 10 min. Remove from the heat & add the paprika.
5. Chop the peeled garlic, parsley, and bread then mix with the lentils.
6. Cook for 10 min. then serve.
Recipe gleaned from 1080 Recipes by Simone and Inés Ortega.
Links to Blog
- Abraham Lincoln- a Homeopathic Enthusiast
- Chocolopolis: The Best Chocolate Shop in Seattle
- Beneficial Organisms in Unforeseen Places
- Simple Measures for Insomnia
- Obesity- An Inflammation and Hormonal Problem
- Cold Water Dips for Vitality
- Canker Sores
- Light Therapy for Acne
- Reputable Supplement Brands
- Finding One’s Passion in Life
- How to Make a Salve
- Fasting for Better Health
- The Dirty Dozen (of Foods)
- Foods to Avoid, Experts Say
- Book Review: Incognito by David Eaglemann
- Fiber-full and delicious: Spanish lentil recipe
- Holiday Gluten-Free New Mexico Cookie Recipe
- Colds and Flus
- Musculoskeletal Injuries 101
- Professional Athletes Practicing What They Eat
- A Single Homeopathic Medicine Converts a Skeptical Doctor
- Bacteria Might Communicate Using Radio Waves
- Disinformation on Homeopathy: Two Leading Sources (Part 2)
- Please Support Homeopathy
- The Disinformation Campaign Against Homeopathy (Part 1)